Monday, July 11, 2011

Grasshopper learns to sail

The great thing about sailing is you never stop learning. While I've sailed all my life, and sailed many ocean miles, ocean racing is a whole new sport. Subtitle things make huge differences, and driving a responsive boat like this takes a fine touch. They say after this race, you will either be a good driver or you'll never get it. I'm hopping for the former. Thanks to the patients of Brian, Jeff and John my skills are improving with every mile. Some boats would never let a crew like me drive, but this is no ordinary crew. We all
take our turns driving, and that includes me. With this watch system, every 7 hours I get a lesson. I have to admit, my heart rate was a bit elevated the other night as we blasted down a pitch black coarse at 3 in the morning with only a compass and a wind direction dial to guide you. The effervescent sea roaring by, as we careen down huge rollers, it takes a steady hand and a good teacher to keep her on track. Since I'm still in the rotation, I guess I'm learning fast enough.

1 comment:

  1. I am sure I am speaking for alot of people. I am pretty jealous of all of you. This has been quite the experience and from reading the blog there seems to be a real good group of men on board. If I understand correctly some of you have only known each other for two months. Thats amazing because it sounds like all of you could be brothers.
    Looking forward to the next blog entry.
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete